A Pumpkin Surprise And More...


The need to get a washing machine in to cater to my laundries during my week-long stay next week got me travel back to my holiday home where my small backyard garden is on Sunday. For the past months, I did most of my laundries at our old family home which is located some 20 minutes drive away. As I would perhaps host a little more guests this time, it would be most inconvenient for me to shuttle the increased laundries to and fro. Getting a washing machine in, is however no more than an excuse I tried to give myself, for in fact, I can easily get one in anytime. I missed my plants. They have been left to grow under the care of nature for more than a month. I was a little worried. Hence, my decision to travel back.

It was already very dark and late when I got back. Though I could still see my plants with the car porch and backyard lights on, it was not detail. I managed to see only the top parts. I couldn't see the growths beneath them, if any. And I dared not use my hands to feel them further in case there were frogs preying for insects there. I am most afraid of frogs though I know they wouldn't do any harm to me. I was not taking any risk. Accidentally touching their bulging eyes or cold, wet, ugly ( I'm sorry for making this remark ) skin are enough to make me faint out of fear.  So, as soon as the sun was up the next day, I went out to check on them. 

I started off with my front yard planter. The whole planter was densely-covered with pumpkin vines. There were only one bloom and a few flower buds in sight. In between the vines, a few sweet potato plants emerged through their leaves. I gently searched beneath some of the pumpkin plant's leaves to see if there are any signs of fruits. What I got to see however, were only some expected small turmeric plants ( which I had planted using some rhizomes last December ) emerging from the surface of the soil . Nothing else! " Hai, " I sighed to myself.  What a disappointment! Although I had actually expected this, I was still very disappointed. I have been hoping that somehow, I would be lucky enough to have some insects around to help me out with the pollination. Then I would have some pumpkins. But, right then, I had to accept the fact that I didn't have any such luck.

" Perhaps I should just give up on this plant, " I thought to myself. But, just as I was thinking this, a dark green thing in between the leaves at a far corner edge of the planter which I had skipped searching, suddenly caught my attention. I quickly went over and pushed the adjacent leaves aside. There, a pumpkin, the size of a 20 centimetres or 8 inches tile, was hiding below the leaves. I almost jumped with joy. " Oh, I've got a pumpkin!, " I blurted out. Luckily, none of my neighbours were around. Else, they might have thought I am funny for feeling so happy at getting such a small pumpkin.

Now, back to this immature pumpkin fruit on the plant, I have no idea how long I have to wait before it can be harvested. What are the signs I ought to look out for, to tell that it has ripened. I must find out now so that I won't miss the best harvesting time. Pray hard that I would get to enjoy this one and only pumpkin fruit soon.

The dark green pumpkin - hidden underneath some leaves

A small turmeric plant emerging from the surface of the soil

The front yard planter - densely-covered with pumpkin vines and some sweet potato shoots here and there.

Next, at the backyard, the planter of plants looked somewhat like a mini herb and vegetable jungle. Beautiful. I have always loved wild-looking gardens. A jungle-like one to be exact. Disorderly planted Basil leaf herbs, a climbing Madeira Vine, some sweet potato plants, some Gynura bicolor plants and at least 3 types of Amaranths plus some weeds here and there, were all that made this planter of plants looked like one. Most of them, if not all, had grown incredibly well despite my long absence. There might be some nutrient deficient ( possibly lack of Nitrogen ) and pest-affected leaves in the Green and Red Amaranths but they were still acceptable to me. On the whole, they still looked great.

Though I had found that all of them were good for harvest anytime, I would only do so when I go back again for the week-long holiday. As I had to quickly get a washing machine in as planned and go back to Kuala Lumpur before noon. 


Here are some of the pictures which I have taken  at my " Mini Herb And Vegetable Jungle ":









Here is a short video clip featuring part of my " Mini Herb And Vegetable Jungle ":




Thank you for reading this  and sharing in my joy. Have a great day everyday!



6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these greens in a small patch? Jade C, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stephanie, Initially, I planted them to see which of them would grow. But once they have germinated from seeds or started to grow from cuttings, I felt very reluctant to remove any of them. So, I ended up having lots of them in 2 small planters. Ha ha... I tried to feed them a little more to ' compensate ' the little space they have. Looks like it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lil garden is looking fabulous! Sometimes you really want to give up on your plants, but in the end it is worth it :) Quite jealous of your pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mer( Growing with Mer ), Thank you so much for your kind comment! About the pumpkin, you don't have to be jealous at all. I suppose if you grow one, you could easily get some fruits. Moreover, in your country and weather, I suppose the fruits would be much bigger, unlike mine which is quite small.

    ReplyDelete