My Renewed Interest In An Old, Unappreciated Garden


The sun shined on the garden below almost effortlessly this morning when I woke up. For some time in the past weeks, the sky had been rather gloomy. So, I was especially grateful and happy to see the sun being up there again, unblocked. Looking down from my third floor condo unit, my recent indifferent attitude towards the garden below seemed to have changed at that instance, if not forever. The ever boring, never changing and unsophisticated garden and plants, looked most beautiful to me on this particular sunny morning. 

Hence, I took a stroll down to the garden after a light breakfast.


Picture of the plantings around the swimming pool -> taken from my bedroom.

Picture of the plantings around the swimming pool -> taken from my balcony. 

The Bonsai and Topiary Rock Garden. Picture taken from third floor's walkway adjacent to the lifts.

As I strolled near the swimming pool area, I saw no one except for a flock of pigeons splashing water onto themselves at the side of the pool. I wanted to capture the scene. But, when I got a bit nearer, they spread their wings and flew away to some nearby window sills. Pigeons have been our regular garden visitors for as long as I can remember. Some residents have even considered them as pets. They feed them secretly despite the management's frequent warnings against the deed. Luckily, their number never really increases so far. Else, they would have been considered as pests. 

With no luck for a capture of the scene and knowing that they would never return to the side of the pool as long as I am there, I strolled on. Trying to enjoy every sights of the plants and landscapes along the way. Admiring them as though they are new to me. When in actual fact, they are the very same old plants and garden since I moved in years back. Somehow, however boring I might find them, I wouldn't want any changes to take place in the garden. For if they do, they would cost us a bomb and that would be too much for us to bear. We would rather reserve our funds for more important projects like refurbishing the whole buildings and more in the future.

Right now, I just have to be contented and grateful. For at least the plants are doing quite well and the lawn ( planted with Axonopus compressus ) is well mowed and trimmed. The Coconut Palms ( cocos nucifera ) have been bearing us lots of fruits throughout the year. The foliage shrubs ( like Cordyline terminalis and Ficus benjamina ) and some of the flowering perennial shrubs ( like  Heliconia psittacorum, Heliconia rostrata , Ixora coccinea, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, Hymenocallis littoralis, Ochna kirkii, Hippeastrum sp. and a few more ) are at their best decorative state. The row of Bougainvillea plants near the swimming pool may not be flowering now but they definitely would when the right time comes. The Manila Palms ( Veitchia merrillii ) have grown to be so tall and sturdy on the slope. Big, healthy, mature ornamental ( Cassia fistula, Tabebuia rosea @ pentaphylla, Erythrina glauca, Bauhina purpurea, etc. ) as well as fruit ( Papaya, Mango, etc. ) trees that grow parallel to the brick fences all around our condo are going to flower or bear fruit soon. Thanks to our one and only Indonesian gardener who comes in thrice a week to look after them.

Occasionally, I stopped to take pictures of the blooms and greens around the garden. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, despite being the most common of all plants in Malaysia, they are actually no less beautiful and unique. The pictures are their evidence. I guess I just have to change my mindset to be able to see their beauty. They do deserve some kind of acknowledgements.


The flower of Heliconia psittacorum

Heliconia psittacorum

The flower of Heliconia rostrata

Cordyline terminalis

The flower of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

The flower of Ixora coccinea


The flower of Ixora coccinea

The flower buds of Ixora coccinea

The flower of Ixora coccinea Sunkist

The flower of Hymenocallis littoralis

The flower of Ochna kirkii with unripe berries

The flower of Ochna kirkii with one remaining ripe berry

The flower of Hippeastrum sp.

The flower of ........ ( oops, I just can't recall its name...can anyone enlighten me on this? thanks! )

Finally, at the end of my stroll, I found that I have renewed interest in the garden below my home. I felt guilty for having complained that it is ever boring, never changing and unsophisticated recently. I should have felt really proud instead, to be one of its many fortunate owners, and blessed, to be able to stroll around it as and when I feel like it. Thank goodness I have come to realise this before long.



Have a great day!



Date : 27th. January, 2018


Note : This post is labeled under ' Other People's Garden ' because the garden that is being mentioned here is neither managed nor planted by me but the management of the condominium where I am staying right now.


6 comments:

  1. Some beautiful, colourful flowers that we can only dream of in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L, Thanks for the kind compliment. They are indeed very beautiful and unique. It is just that I tend to be too greedy and unappreciative at times....always hoping for more in garden....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some stunning plants are in that garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina, Thank you so much for your kind remark. Indeed there are...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It is so beautiful. Full of life and colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Growing with Mer, So kind of you as to acknowledge its (the garden's ) beauty. Like you said, it is really full of colour and life right now.

    ReplyDelete